Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Poverty

I had the opportunity to visit a friend's house the other day. They live in a more impoverished area in Monchy, St. Lucia. They didn’t have a lock on their front door. It had to be kept closed with an empty gas cylinder. They don’t have running water or electricity, and they don’t have a washroom. They told me stories about how St. Lucia only received these things about 12 years ago. They remember bringing water from the river and bathing in the river. They expressed their blessing for having a neighbor near by that has pipe that they can draw water from on occasion. Incredible! I felt so spoiled. This same person expressed confusion about seeing Americans walk around with so much that make it look so hard.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

parts of SVG are similar, esp in the more rural areas like where I live. 30 years ago here, everyone got water from the river. Now the gov't has run pipe to everybody's house, but there are still those that collect water from a public spout and wash/bathe in the river.

RPCV Mali said...

Hey there. I first came to St.Lucia in 1978 and there was running water and electricity then. Can't speak for Monchy, but certain can speak for Vieux Fort, Soufriere, Canaries and Anse La Ray where I spent time. Your informants view that these utilities were only introduced to St.Lucia 12 years ago, may be limited to thier own experience.

Kath said...

hey I'll be there in a little over a month for training!! I have loved reading your blog and would love to ask you some questions if you have time... my email is katherine.bowyer@gmail.com :)