Monday, December 8, 2008

No One’s Getting Thinner at Thanksgiving Dinner

(Journal Transcription from November 27th, 2008)



Today is both Thanksgiving and the three month anniversary of our arrival in St. Lucia! Thanksgiving was wonderful! It was my first thanksgiving away from home and I was feeling rather apprehensive about it. Quite honestly, I expected the day to be a little dull without all the hustle and bustle, the decorations, thanksgiving traditions like decorating the tree after dinner, fighting over the wish bone, no family, Stacy, or other friends brought home for the great feast, etc. However, while the tradition of having some of my international friends over for thanksgiving was broken for my family, being in another country has allowed me to uphold the tradition. Anyway, I thought the day would be a little dull, and it wasn’t feeling a lot like Thanksgiving when I woke up in the morning. I thought staying up all night trying to perfect the recipe of a home made key lime pie would get me in the spirit, but when I woke up it still felt like just another day.

We decided to have a big Thanksgiving feast at Mary-Ellen’s house. She is a volunteer in Dennery, a cute little village on the Atlantic coast. About 30 of us brought different Thanksgiving dishes to complete the feast. We had three 12lb turkeys, stuffing, gravey, cranbarries, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, spinach casserole, salad, mixed vegetables, potato salad, corn, cream corn, rolls, Caribbean rolls, tortillas with a bean, pepper and corn mixture, pasta, cranberry orange bread, brownies, pumpkin pie, apple pie, key lime pie, cookies, raspberry cream cheese spread, carrot cake, chocolate cake, cup cakes that looked like little hats, fudge and more. AND, we ate it ALL! Everyone chatted, had a good time, and some watched the Macey’s day parade. And let me tell you, by the end of all that food it felt unmistakably like Thanksgiving!

Oh and as a side note for the family, funny thing how I really cared about helping set everything up and cleaning when it was all done. Even though I might always run away from cleaning duties after dinner at home, I have obviously been taught well, haha. Mama, you would be proud… though I was a little sorry to not have a Bridget on hand!

No comments: