Tuesday, December 30, 2008

No White Sugar!

(entry from 12.23.08)

Today I went to Bill Jackson’s house along with several fo the other PCVs. Him and his wife work with the peace corps, and they had invited us for Christmas lunch. It was nice to have a truly authentic x-mas dinner. After we feasted I left to run some errands. I was wanting to make some peanut brittle for my local friends, neighbors, and host family and still needed to buy the ingredients. I was able to purchase all but one ingredient at the Super J in Rodney Bay; one of the largest supermarkets where I live. However, one essential ingredient was in shortage, white sugar! I also checked the Super J just north of Rodney Bay, the Super J just south of Rodney Bay at Gablewood, and the Super J in Castries. None of them had sugar. I decided to stop by Mega J on my way home, thinking sugar in bulk is better than no sugar at all. Mega J is the Sams/Casco of St. Lucia, and they were all out of white sugar as well!

In a last attempt, I stopped at the mini-mart in Babonneau, and of course they didn’t have any sugar either. How could this be? Just 3 days ago there was a shortage of brown sugar and white sugar was in abundance, and now it is 2 days before Christmas and I can’t find white sugar anywhere. I asked my neighbor, Cindie; she had no sugar. Cindie called and asked her mom to try the shop next to their business. What do you know; NO WHITE SUGAR!! Just as I was giving up and about to result to using cane sugar as a substitute Cindie suggested walking to her brothers house to see if Prascillia had sugar. YAHOO, his wife had 2lb of white sugar. I had 2lb of brown cane sugar. Walabing walaboom, we made the swap!

Ohhh the woes of being an islander!

No comments: