Tuesday, December 9, 2008

S'more S'mores Please


(Journal Entry from December 2nd, 2008)

I went camping this past weekend in Louvert. In the morning we explored the beach, opened coconuts and I tried to climb the coconut tree.... or I tried to climb the coconut tree. In the afternoon we hiked to a waterfall. Carol and I got to the top of the waterfall that stood about 75 feet tall. Every time I visit a new waterfall I can't resist making my way to the top of it, because you never know what you will find. At the top of this particular waterfall there was another 15 foot waterfall and a swimming hole. Of course, we took a dip in the pool of water but had to get out soon there after, because the Minos wouldn't stop nipping at our ankles! After cooling out by the waterfalls for some time we hiked to Dennery where our bus picked us up to take us back to Castries. If you check out a map of St. Lucia you will have an idea of how far we had to hike... many many miles.

OH yes, the night we camped in Louvert we tried to make a fire. At first, everyone wanted to just go straight to sleep, as we didn't find our camping sight until 2AM. I told them I wanted to teach them how to make s'mores, but every single one of my St. Lucian camping buddies had either never heard of a s'more before or had never had one before; so the word "s'more" didn't excite them in the way I thought it would. However, all I had to say was "chocolate and marshmallows" and the fellas were up and searching for fire wood. I was excited to introduce the wonderfully delicious ooey and gooey St. Lucian S'more to everyone. I sat "St. Lucian S'more" because I did have to modify the ingredients a bit. Since you can't by Graham Crackers in St. Lucia I had to substitute the Graham Crackers with Hob-Nobs, a circular sweat cracker that they make here. Unfortunately the wind was too strong and the wood to wet to get a good fire going and no s'mores were made. I did learn a fire starting technique though. Dried coconut husk is the best base you could ever have for a fire!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like quite the blast and good time! I don't know if we sell your hob-nobs here in SVG, but if I find them perhaps I'll try a St Lucian S'more. ^_^