Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Training, Theft in the City, and Digicel

I had my first day of training at the PC office today. It was nice. They really know how to throw you into the work. I have to complete a community map of my neighborhood by next Monday. This is a physical map that shows the geography of all of the businesses and organizations in my community that will also indicate the most important resources, most available resources, areas community members spend the most time and the least time and the expressed needs of the men and women in the community. Time to get talkin to people!


Today in Castries I was on the bus with one of the other volunteers. We were in stop-n-go traffic in the city when a man suddenly ran up and yanked the chain off of the woman sitting in the passenger side seat. He just reached through the window and yanked it off her neck! She started shoutin “He got my chain, He got my chain!” The bus driver jumped out to run after him but could not catch him! I was so surprised that none of the 100s of bystanders stopped him. It was unfortunate for the woman, but I felt fortunate to witness the theft. It serves as a reminder to guard my valuables and be careful in the city.


Tomorrow I open my bank account – money money money, MONEY! Soon enough, in 7 weeks, we will finally be getting some funds to live on. Something a little less modest than the $133EC ($45) every other week that we are getting now! It is supposed to pay our bus fairs and leave a small amount as a walk around allowance. I am also getting a St. Lucian phone. I am happy I waited on the SIM card because Digicel, one of the two phone companies here, gives a deal to PCVs. It is $10 a month and we can call any PCV or PC staff on the network unlimitedly. Anything else, usual rates apply. However, we can still receive any incoming calls free of charge! WOO WOO!

No comments: