Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Church and Food... It must be Sunday

(Journal transcription from Sunday August 31rst 4:00 pm ish)

Today has been better than yesterday. I am feeling more relaxed as I become more familiar with my host mom and home. It also turns out that there is an up side to no children in the house after all, as I got to sleep in until 6:45!! Yes, 6:45am is considered sleeping in when I have been up by 5 since I got to Miami. When I woke up I went to church with Mrs. B. She goes to a quaint little catholic church up the road. She seemed delighted that I chose to go with her. It was a memorable experience that was both pleasant and embarrassing. It also offered some familiarity. During church the Deccan asked the new comers to stand and introduce themselves. This is where me and me alone stood, and my host mom introduced me to the whole congregation; as if my single vanilla face wasn’t sticking out enough in the sea of chocolate! As I stood their awkwardly the choir started to sing a hymn and when I went to sit down I was motioned to remain standing. I hadn’t the slightest idea why I was to remain standing their, and my embarrassment grew. I felt a tap on my shoulder from a man who had apparently been standing in the aisle for some time waiting to shake my hand and tell me ‘Welcome.’ Several people proceeded to come to greet me for the remainder of the song. Even though I was blushing the entire time I was standing, I sat down grateful for the experience. I felt welcome and pleased to meet several people in the community. Also, for a brief moment I was thankful for having been raised in the Catholic Church. I knew the chants and proceedings and actually felt that I was fitting in during service. It was a great way to get connected. Though, I am certain I saw the Deccan hesitate when I went to receive communion! When I informed Mrs. B that I could take communion but had not ever been confirmed she was quick to inform me it was never too late and could do it while I am in St. Lucia. Eh… while I know my time here will influence me in many unthinkable ways, I am certain I wont be promising myself to the catholic church while in St. Lucia. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the calypso infused hymns and rich tradition that exists here.

Things for further discussion:

I took the bus for the first time today. The buses are actually large vans that hold about 14 – 16 passengers.

I learned to wash my undergarments by hand

I learned to make Caribbean style okra, macaroni, sauce, beans and rice. (Sunday lunch is the biggest meal of the week in St. Lucia)

I ate my first fresh guava (guave in Kweol). DELICIOUS!

Tonight Mrs. B has invited me to go to a country western dance and I don’t know if I shall go. She said we will be there for 3 hours! I am really nervous and I want to go but I fear feeling very out of place. It is 10 EC to get in. I will decide soon. Regardless, today has been a wonderful day!

No comments: