Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Stranger in a Strange Land

(Journal transcription from August 30th 5pm ish)

I am sitting on the top balcony of my host mom and dads house; I call them Mrs. and Mr. B. I asked for no kids on my home stay form, and this is what I go. However, now I am wishing there were some little rascals running around here. I suppose I will miss my niece Ava waking me up every morning after all! I asked if my host mom knows of anyone my age in the neighborhood that I could make friends with and she doesn’t seem to know anyone. I suppose I will need to keep the lookout and be proactive in meeting the neighbors. I will go to church with her in the morning; she is Catholic, as are most St. Lucians.

My host parents live in a fairly large house; something I wasn’t expecting. It is two stories with a large wrap around patio that I know my mom would love, and the lawn is fabulous! We have 2 dogs, Blacky (he is the old and wiser dog. He is nice to the other animals and even leaves the chickens alone) and ‘the brown one’, 2 cats called ‘puss puss’, several mango trees, guava trees, banana trees, limes, a bread fruit tree, and two more new fruits that I cannot pronounce the names of yet! (Calabash and ….?)

For my first lunch, Mrs. B made a very delicious pumpkin soup. We also have pumpkins growing in the garden. I am still very excited about trying all the new Caribbean dishes. However, even more exciting is my bedroom! I have my own bedroom and bathroom and couldn’t be more relieved that I don’t have to share! We have hot water, cable TV, a microwave, toaster oven, and a washing machine but everything hangs on the line to dry and I am to wash my undergarments by hand. Other things I do not have: dishwasher, internet, A/C, screens on windows, tub. That is all I notice for now

I already feel a little isolated and alone. This disappoints me because I thought I would make it at least a day in my new home!! It is awkward arriving to live in a strangers home in a completely unfamiliar place. I suppose it is the level of discomfort that brought me to tears. I believe it is my first time I have ever been brought to tears out of feeling uncomfortable and awkward. It happened after I finished unpacking my things. I was feeling like I didn’t know what to do with myself. I am thankful that I started this habit of journaling many many years ago; it feels good to write and be out on the balcony.

Man, I can already tell that rooster will be annoying – crowing already (Hannah, this one is confused about the time as well. Maybe is related to out AAH House rooster) There is an annoying dog next door too. Well, I suppose that rooster and dog will take over Ava’s job! I am surprised Mrs. B doesn’t have a car; she has such a lovely house. Anyway, I suppose I must get used to Buses and Walking for the next 2 years! There goes that rooster again.

Straight in front of me is a large mountain side. It is very near… Maybe ½ mile away. I hope that when I move into my own house in 7 weeks that it will be higher up or near the water. I am about ½ mile walk from the beach.

It is an interesting experience knowing that you are the minority in every way, too. There is no way I can ever go unnoticed when I am living in a country that is 95% black. I plan to write more about this later as I experience this aspect more in my daily living.

My host mom has been working with the PC for 16 years. I am her 6th PC daughter. I wonder what their service experience was like. Did they miss the internet as much as I can tell I am going too?! Ha.

AND, I miss Jason. I miss him so much that I cannot write further about it because I feel the tears welling up already!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm sorry you are feeling lonely! I REALLY wish I were there with you!!
Wow! It sounds GORgeous. I can't wait to see the pictures. Kyle and I just might have to come visit for our honeymoon after he gets back!!
I'm so proud of you!

Gizmo said...

OH that would be superfantastic!!