Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Country Music Meets Ghetto Super Star

(Journal transcription from Sunday August 31st 9:30pm ish)

I just got back from the Western Palace. It was not what I expected even in the least! I am glad I decided to step outside my fears and go. I knew not to expect a bunch of tight jeans and cowboy hats because I had already asked if people would be dressed in this way. However, I was definitely expecting a bunch of middle to old-aged folk doing the two-step and line dances on a small dance floor. I experienced something entirely different from this, and expectations I didn’t even know I had were broken! What I encountered was a pitch black, VERY LARGE, ‘night club’ looking place with 100s of people of all ages. The women were wearing the same kind of night club garb you would see in the states and the guys were wearing gold chains, caps and loose fitting jeans. AND they were all dancing the two-step! WOAH, culture clash! Naturally, I quickly noticed that I was the only white face in the crowd but not due to any sort of negative attention. As I walked into the place I found myself feeling extremely uncomfortable, knowing that if I were to walk into a predominantly black club in America I would most likely elicit at least a few rude glances and snide remarks. However, I experienced something completely to the contrary. People were generally pleasant, if they even took notice of me at all! It is hard to say whether this was because my PC mom’s tight grasp on me discouraged negative attention or if it was because racial prejudice is weaker than it is in the states. Any how, there seems to be a positive sentiment towards Americans, and PCVs are respected in St. Lucia. Warning about the St. Lucian men whom try to take advantage of foreign women has found its way to my ears many times already; although, they were very respectable on the dance floor. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and was sad when the time came to leave. Not what I expected at all!

Goodnight,

Ashley

No comments: