Thursday, September 11, 2008

Spirit to Play, Pockets to Pay

(Journal transcription from Sunday September 7th 7:30pm ish)


Yesterday I went to Rodney Bay with several of the other Peace Corps Volunteers. We played on the beach outside one of the resorts. We laughed, once again, about how we were not paying a dime to bask in the suns rays and body surf on the waves but all the families and couples around us were paying to be in this tropical land! Then we decided to order a beer at the beach bar. While we were sippin’ on our bevs Bob Marley came by and made me a bowl out of palm leaves. I kept telling him “I don’t have any money to give the children,” but he made it anyway. Did you know Bob Marley can both sing and make bowls out of palm leaves? Oh yes, he also mastered a skill only Jesus knows, returning from the dead.


Anyhow, when the bill was brought our laughter got quieter; 6EC for a Piton and 10EC for a club soda!! That was twice as much as anywhere else on the island! Geez, I hope I have enough of my walk around allowance to make it through next week! Although, if I have to chew away some of my thigh in order to survive through the week I would not complain; I have gained 5 lbs since arriving in St. Lucia. Don’t worry mom and dad… they are feeding me well! St. Lucians like their oils, fats, and fried foods. I figured walking would make up for all the banana fritters and fried goodies – Eh Eh. My usual workout routine has come to a halt. I did find a gym and heard about a natatorium, but I won’t be able to afford membership until I start getting my monthly stipend. This will start coming after I get sworn in on October 23rd ish.


A few things I will eventually need:
Britta Filter (water has parasite/weight loss diet bug)
Hammock
5 gallon bucket with lid (for water outages)
Extra camera battery
Underwater case for camera
Snorkeling gear
Rope
Dog collar (for my new puppy, Cato)

1 comment:

the comrade said...

Its important to clarify the collar is for the dog.