Thursday, September 11, 2008

PCV Loses Her Roll

(Journal transcription Tuesday September 9th, 2008 10pm ish)


First day of school:


The guidance counselor (my Institutional Point Person and woman I will be working with for the next 2 years) asked me to be at Castries Comprehensive by 8:00 am for the teachers briefing; held every morning by the principle. The guidance counselor had not yet arrived when I got there at 7:45 am (Caribbean time is slightly different from standard time). Awkwardly, I tried to figure out where to wait for her, the front office? Outside her office door? The staff room where the briefing takes place? She was the only person at the school I had spent any time with when I visited the school last Thursday. I wish I had asked where to wait for her. After trying out each location I decided on the front office, the only air conditioned space in the entire school.


At the staff meeting I could barely hear Principal Joseph speak. The traffic noises emanating from the highway easily slipped through the checker board walls and windows designed for open air circulation. I couldn’t help but wonder how children concentrate with so many external stimuli, and in such heat! Soon enough I realized the principal was saying a prayer for the day. This is the custom in St. Lucia; there isn’t separation of church and state… awkward! After prayer I was introduced as Ms. Ashley Ray. I think many teachers were uncertain as to whether Ashley Ray is my last name or my full name.


After briefing I met with the teacher that I was to follow and observe for the day. As we entered her class the children’s chairs screeched across the concrete floor as they stood to greet the teacher. The teacher greeted the class, “Good morning students.” The students acknowledged her in unison, “Good morning teacher.” The students would remain standing until the teacher asked them to sit. Next, the students were asked to pull out their books. Most of the students have to share books. As the students read the reading comprehension story out loud I couldn’t help but notice that this form 1 (7th grade) class was reading what I would consider 3rd grade material. The teacher informs me that all form 1 classes across all of St. Lucia have the same books and syllabus. St. Lucia has universal education.


I accompanied the teacher to the staff room during her break period. This gave me a chance to socialize with some of the other teachers. One of the teachers was telling me about how he does something adventures every other Sunday; snorkeling, climbing, hiking to waterfalls, etc, and I was invited to join him and to bring other PCVs if I am interested. This will be lots of fun.


Then, the moment I was feeling more comfortable and at ease I was brought right back into a world of awkwardness. I asked my shadow teacher, “Where is the restroom.” She says, “Oh” with an unreadable look on her face. She reaches up and grabs a key off the wall, which she then hands me along with a jumbo roll of toilet paper and says, “follow me” We push our way through the student filled hall and down the stairs. As we begin a long stride across the school lawn I try my best to discretely carry my role of toilet paper. We get to the one and only staff restroom tactfully placed on the whole other side of campus, after what seemed like an eternal walk of shame. The teacher instructs me to use the key for both entry into the restroom and locking the door on the other side. After struggling with the rusty lock and key for a moment I finally gained access, relieved that I didn’t lose hold of my jumbo roll in the struggle. I could just picture the headline; White Lady Struggles with Bathroom Door, Jumbo Roll Slips From Grasp During Brothel and Rolls Away Across Central Court Yard. Nevertheless, I walk into the open room that contains 3 urinals and 2 stalls. “Do men and women use the same restroom?” I think. As I hurry to finish my business I pray over and over that no man enters to pee. I walk back to the staff room playing over and over in my head how to avoid walking in on a man using the urinal and being completely mortified. This concern keeps my mind off the fact that I am carrying a jumbo roll across campus. Thinking back though, people didn’t really take notice because the bathroom ritual is commonplace.


I got back to the staff room and was almost too embarrassed to ask about the unisex bathroom issue but I do anyway. The teacher laughs and remarks, “I forgot to tell you! Leave the key in the lock on the other side of the door. This way teachers know the bathroom is occupied when they cannot push their key in all the way.” Boy was a relieved, but I can’t help but wonder if she was putting me through initiation.

No comments: