Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ropes Course

(Written1.16.09)

I went with Cliff today to view the land that he and his wife want to put a ropes course on. Actually, their vision is even larger than just a ropes course. His wife developed a non-profit organization called HOPE that is currently pitching its proposal to the ministry of education. They will be delivering educational opportunities to children that live in poverty. Kids that enter their program at the primary school level will receive free tutoring by trained teachers, shoes to go to school in, and lunches on the school lunch programs. They will also attend camps over the school breaks, where they will get to receive additional tutoring and test preparation in various subjects from math and English to foreign language and mechanics. In addition the kids will get to attend a summer wilderness camp at the ropes course where they will work on building life skills, self-esteem, confidence, and team-work. The first phase of the program will be launched in September when school starts (including the shoes, lunch and tutoring).

I have been in touch with some companies that help design ropes courses in the states and they all seem willing to help out in any way they can. I am getting a good feel for what it takes to develop and maintain a course. Very interesting, very interesting in deed. Nevertheless, it looks like my summer work is cut out for me. Hand me a cutlass and lets go clear the land!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How exciting! I'll look to hear out these activities play out in the future. Don't ya just love cutlasses? I know I adore mine. ^_^