Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inauguration Day

(written 1.20.09)

Today is inauguration day in Washington. It is a little surreal and euphoric. Millions of people, all ages and all races are huddling into Washington to see his swearing in speech. They have been crowding in since early morning. There are still 4 hours until he gets sworn in, and I can’t peel my eyes from the TV already! I feel so proud that America is turning a leaf. Hope is being restored. My greatest fears are NOT being realized. Perhaps Americans are not as apathetic and ignorant as I thought. This is huge. I can’t even describe the enormity of the day. I will leave the eloquent descriptions to historians and literacy writers. Just months ago I was bitter, angry, and cynical about America, Americans, Americas future, and the president. But Today I am PROUD!!

(later this day)

I spent the day at the Lime with Haley, Lois, Scott, Elaine, and Lloyd. It was incredible. Elaine popped a bottle of bubbly and we shouted “CHEERS” and “HOORAY” at high noon!

No comments: