Thursday, April 23, 2009

Racism

Tuesday March 12th, 2009

My Why Try? Groups are running more smoothly this week. Sometimes all these kids need is someone that will relate to their potential, relentlessly. To many times teachers, parents, and other adults only see the troublesome side of adolescents. They need an adult that wont give-up on them, just the same way we try to tell them to never give-up on life.

I must tell you, I think a large portion of their respect is greatly related to how I dealt with a situation that occurred 2 weeks ago. In the middle of session 2 of the girls commented back and forth about how they have white people. This was my first experience in St. Lucia of blatant racism. When the comments came I was stunned. I was so upset that I couldn’t even process the comments and just brushed over them as if they didn’t even occur. Later that day we called the two students to the office to address the comments. Strangely enough, both students were surprised to hear I was upset by the comments. At first, I attempted to put them in my shoes by asking them how it would make them feel if I said “I hate black people.” Both students were confident that it wouldn’t matter to them. Dormillia, my community counterpart had to help me understand that most St. Lucians have never experienced racism and because St. Lucia is a black nation, such remarks against black people have little power and are not seen as a threat.

I spoke with the students about the climate of racism in America and how it is very offensive to make such comments. I talked to them about the dangers of lumping people together according to race and how that is the attitude that lead to enslavement of black people. The girls responded that they were not talking about me, but about “White white people.” I asked each of the girls if they have ever had a white friend or known a white person before. Both stated that they have never even had one conversation with a white person before me. They hear stories about white people and from that know that all white people only want to come to St. Lucia to take their money and kick the people on the street. Neither of the girls had ever directly experienced either. I told them that I do not support acts of hate against St. Lucians or any black people and encouraged them to try to make a judgments of people based more on their personal experience rather than the stories they hear from other people. I let them know that they are welcome to speak to me and ask me questions anytime they want.

Last week Dormillia and I spoke with the entire group about the comments that were made the previous week and let them know there is no tolerance for hateful comments in Why Try? Clearly, my response to the situation gained their respect.

No comments: