Tuesday, October 21, 2008

When it Rains it Pours!!

(Journal Entry from Saturday October 11th, 2008)

Yesterday, the tropical wave hit. I am still uncertain as to what exactly a tropical wave is, but the symptoms so far seem to be rain, rain, and more rain. I don’t think it has stopped raining once since yesterday. The degree to which it is raining has oscillated between a soft mist and torrential downpour, but the rain is relentless. I speculate that a wave is a series of storms that are too unorganized to be considered a tropical depression. Nonetheless, the ‘wave’ has caused quite a commotion.

Highlights:
Mrs. B gets a call from our neighbor. Mrs. B excitedly tells me that the river that runs parallel to the road, just 100 yards away is overflowing, and the water is at our neighbor’s doorsteps!!
Mrs. B and I run to the veranda to find the water creeping halfway up our driveway!
I grab my camera to capture pictures of the dude across the way wading waist deep in water!
I run outside to find tons of people lining the streets holding their umbrellas watching the street too flooded for traffic to get through!
Even when the water recedes the people remain watching in amazement as a steady flow of traffic passes through the neighborhood; more traffic than any of us have ever seen come through the neighborhood!
Talk on the street is that the traffic came from the friends and families in surrounding areas that were phoned and wanted to see the flooding! OH MY!!

No comments: